Thursday, December 6, 2007

Hugs Heal Story 3 - submitted by a friend of Hugs Heal

On August 10, 2006 I had a heart attack. My husband took me to the ER and while they were running all their tests and stabilizing me, he was by my side. Two hours later, they put me in a room to wait for a heart cath operation to see where the blockage was. All of this was happening on the day before our anniversary.

The hospital did not have the staff to do the surgery the next morning, so my husband and I spent our anniversary in my hospital room. I don't remember much because I was on pain medication and all kinds of IV drips. All I know is that every time I opened my eyes, he was there.

The next day was Saturday and during the night one of my IV's had come out. As soon as I got up out of bed, it was evident which one. I was having another heart attack. I was moved to CCU where visitation was limited, so I was alone most of the time. On Monday, after one surgery to find the blockage and another to install four stents, I was moved back to ICU. Spending the whole week in solitude and pain does a lot to the mental psyche and I was getting depressed, even in my fog of morphine.

By Friday, I was able to go to a regular room and was released later that day. But that wasn't the best thing for me.The best thing that happened, the thing that gave me the warmest and most secure feeling, was the first embrace from my husband. It was filled with love, companionship, caring, and happiness. And it made my world right again.

- Linda from Arlington, Texas

No comments: